On November 11, Midea one of the popular Chinese electrical appliance brand launched its latest set of consumer products but the most important thing is that these products are equipped with Huawei’s HarmonyOS (Hongmeng OS) operating system.
These new products come under the smart home category and include water heaters, dishwashers, smart stoves, and many more. By using the HarmonyOS, these products provide a cross-device experience for the users and can be managed all together from a single device.
According to a previous report that Huawei is planning to launch HarmonyOS in 200 million devices by 2021. To complete this mission, the Chinese company is also partnering with third-party home appliance makers to increase the users and promote HarmonyOS.
It is also reported that these new Midea smart home appliances come with three major improvements, like the following:
- The first improvement is the fast distribution network, as long as you touch it with your mobile phone, you can realize the 3-second network distribution of the device based on the WiFi Aware network configuration protocol.
- The second major change is the screenless devices to the screen, which can directly realize the real-time device status through the mobile phone function interface Monitoring, including running status, consumables reminder, etc.
- The third and last improvement is direct service. With the touch of your mobile phone, you can enjoy one-click direct-to-factory services such as cleaning, repairing, and purchasing consumables.
HarmonyOS 2 Mobile Beta Tracker
At Huawei Developer Conference (HDC) 2020, the Chinese tech giant unveiled two new mobile software systems – the first is EMUI 11 and the second is the brand new operating system – HarmonyOS 2 (Hongmeng OS) 2.
HarmonyOS is Huawei’s self-developed micro-kernel-based operating system, developed to work across different devices and provide a new user experience in all scenarios. This new software platform was initially introduced in 2019 powered by distributed capabilities.
HarmonyOS 2.0 comes with a comprehensive upgrade to its existing distributed capabilities, including software bus, data management, and security. Huawei also introduced an adaptive UX framework that allows developers to quickly reach tens of millions of new devices and users by changing the user interface.
At the HarmonyOS 2.0 launching event, Huawei also unveiled a new set of tools including emulators, SDK packages, and IDE tools to develop apps for HarmoynOS 2.0 mobile, which help users to understand the basic ecology of this upcoming smartphone operating system.
In December 2020, Huawei released the HarmonyOS 2.0 mobile developer beta version and started the enrollment of flagship devices for HarmonyOS 2 beta testing.
The device open for HarmonyOS 2.0 beta includes Huawei P40, Mate 30, and MatePad Pro devices. However, these registered smartphones already received the HarmonyOS 2.0 first beta version. Since then, Huawei has conducted a bunch of beta testing on different Huawei devices, and eventually lead us to the official launch on June 2.
At the event, Huawei announced over 100 devices that will receive the HarmonyOS 2 upgrade. These devices are scheduled to receive HarmonyOS in a staged and phase timeline up to next year.
So, there’s a lot more to cover, and below you check all of the devices and their progress under one simplified tracker including the different phases of the HarmonyOS 2 upgrade.
There are three phases that Huawei follows after the developer beta testing and their sections are divided as follows:
- Closed beta
- Public Beta
- Stable release
But first, we’ll be going to explore the developer beta rollouts:
- First Closed Developer Beta (Read more): Began with Huawei P40, Mate 30, and MatePad Pro
- First Open/Public Developer Beta (Read more): Mate X2, Mate 40 Series, Smart Screen
- Third Open/Public Developer Beta (Read more): Huawei Nova 6, Nova 7, Nova 8 Series, and MatePad 10.8 Devices
Below is the HarmonyOS 2 tracker that will inform you about the beta testing of the respective devices.
Closed HarmonyOS 2 Beta Section:
June 3, 2021: First Closed Beta
The first closed beta started for 28 devices including Huawei Nova 6, Nova 7, Nova 8 series, MatePad 10.8, Mate 20 series, Mate Xs, Enjoy 20 Plus 5G, Enjoy Z 5G, Enjoy 20 Pro 5G, Maimang 9, MatePad 10.4 Series. Check the complete rollout information and model numbers here (Link)
June 10, 2021: Second Phase Beta
The second round of closed HarmonyOS 2 beta rolled out for Huawei P30 Series, Mate 20 X 5G, Mate X, Nova 5 Series, and MediaPad M6 lineup. Read more about the second phase beta here.
June 23, 2021: Third Phase Beta
HarmonyOS 2 closed beta for 12 Honor devices began, these are Honor 30, Honor V30, Honor 20, Honor V20, and more. Check full information here.
July 13, 2021: Fourth Phase Beta
Huawei has started the fourth phase of HarmonyOS 2.0 closed beta testing for 14 devices including Huawei P20, Mate 10, Nova 4, Nova 5i, Nova 4e, Honor 30S, X10, and more.
Public HM OS 2 Beta Section:
June 2, 2021: First Public Beta
First HarmonyOS 2 public beta was announced for Huawei Mate 40, P40, Mate 30, MatePad Pro series, and Mate X2. Check more information here.
June 16, 2021: Second Public Beta
The second phase of public beta testing started for Huawei Nova 6, Nova 7, and Nova 8 series smartphones. Check full details here.
June 30, 2021: Third Public Beta
Huawei opened the third public beta phase with a bunch of devices including the previous flagship – the Huawei P30 series, Mate 20 series, Nova 7 SE devices, Mate Xs, and others. You can check the details here.
July 1, 2021: Fourth Public Beta
Huawei released the HarmonyOS 2.0 public beta update for Huawei Nova 8 SE, Nova 6 SE, Enjoy 20 Plus 5G, Enjoy Z 5G, Enjoy 20 Pro 5G, and Maimang 9. Check more information here.
July 12, 2021: Fifth Public Beta
The fifth round of HarmonyOS 2.0 public beta opened for Huawei Nova 5, Nova 5i Pro, and Nova 5Z devices. For more information, click here.
July 22, 2021: Sixth Public Beta
Huawei started the HarmonyOS 2.0 public beta for 12 Honor devices including Honor 30, V30, 20, V20, Play 4 Pro, Magic 2, and more.
June 23, 2021: First Stable Release
HarmonyOS 2 stable build first released for Huawei Mate 40, P40, Mate 30, MatePad Pro series, and Mate X2 devices. Check more this stable rollout here.
July 8, 2021: Second Stable Release
July 21, 2021: Third Stable Release
Huawei kicked off the stable HarmonyOS 2.0 version for a bunch of Huawei devices including Huawei Mate X2, P30 series, Mate 20 series, and more. Check more details here.
- So far the HarmonyOS 2 testing remains eclosed among Chinese models
- This rollout progress is related to the Chinese model
- HarmonyOS 2 global upgrade plan is yet to come
- We can update/change the information in the HarmonyOS 2 tracker
Huawei launched sdkmgr, a new HarmonyOS SDK management tool
Huawei introduces a new SDK management tool for the HarmonyOS developers built with sdkmgr command line. The developers can view, download, update, and uninstall the HarmonyOS SDK directly using commands.
This new tool is best while building packages in the pipeline and it supports automatically build script calls. Compared with the HarmonyOS SDK DevEco Studio, the sdkmgr SDK management tool has two major advantages:
- Easy to use: The developers can use this tool without the graphical interface. It is difficult to manage the SDK using the DevEco Studio, whereas the sdkmgr makes it easier as it can be used in several kinds of systems.
- Automatic script generation: The other major advantage of using the sdkmgr is that it automatically builds scripts without manually generating the hap packages.
For using the sdkmgr, the command is the same as its name ‘sdkmgr’. By using this, the user can view, install, uninstall and update multiple SDK components.
To make the sdkmgr work, follow the steps mentioned below
- Download the compressed package of sdkmgr from the official website of HarmonyOS and then extract it.
- Now, open any of the command prompt such as cmd, Powershell, etc. and enter the bin directory of sdkmgr.
- To make sure that the network is stable, check the commands such as view, install, update or uninstall.
Moreover, the company has also assured the developer that it will continue to bring more convenient and easy-to-use tools to make the application development more fun and that will lead to a more efficient development experience.
[Related] Huawei DevEco Studio 2.2 Beta 1
Huawei last month released DevEco Studio 2.2 Beta 1 with low code HarmonyOS 2 app development, remote device features, and more. This beta improves the existing functions, adds new functionalities, and solves the existing bugs for an enhanced experience. Read more
HarmonyOS (Hongmeng OS) Eligible Devices
In August 2019, Huawei launched its self-developed operating system, HarmonyOS, also known as Hongmeng OS. This new OS is a new microkernel-based, distributed operating system designed to deliver a diverse user experience across all devices and scenarios.
Initially, the OS only supported Huawei smart TVs. However, with the growing U.S. pressure, Huawei has increased its speed and preparation to bring the HarmonyOS on more platforms.
At Huawei Developer Conference (HDC) 2020, Huawei announced HarmonyOS 2.0, which supports more platforms compared to its predecessor.
According to the official roadmap, HarmonyOS 2.0 will support devices with up to 128MB RAM, such as smart wearables and other IoT devices. In 2021, It’ll support devices up to 4GB RAM, such as tablets and entry-level smartphones. By the end of 2021, this RAM limit will increase over 4GB and open a way for the support of flagship smartphones.
At an event on June 2, 2021, Huawei officially launched HarmonyOS for smartphone devices announced a roadmap of upgrading almost every possible device that goes way back up to 2016. This upgrade plan is surely something and both Huawei and Honor phones are part of this journey.
So, Let’s look at the devices that are eligible to receive HarmonyOS software updates.
Note: All of these devices are officially confirmed.
HarmonyOS eligible Huawei devices:
- Huawei Mate 40
- Huawei Mate 40 Pro
- Huawei Mate 40 Pro+
- Huawei Mate 40 RS Porsche Design
- Huawei Mate 40E
- Huawei Mate X2
- Huawei P40
- Huawei P40 4G
- Huawei P40 Pro
- Huawei P40 Pro Plus
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro 4G
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G
- Huawei Mate 30E Pro 5G
- Huawei Mate 30 RS Porsche Design
- Huawei Mate 30 4G
- Huawei Mate 30 5G
- Huawei MatePad Pro WiFi
- Huawei MatePad Pro 5G
- Huawei Mate Xs
- Huawei Mate 20
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro
- Huawei Mate 20 RS Porsche Design
- Huawei Nova 7 SE 5G
- Huawei Nova 7 SE 5G Lohas Edition
- Huawei Nova 7 SE 5G Vitality Edition
- Huawei Nova 8
- Huawei Nova 8 Pro
- Huawei Nova 8 Pro 4G
- Huawei Nova 7 5G
- Huawei Nova 7 Pro 5G
- Huawei Nova 6
- Huawei Nova 6 5G
- Huawei Nova 6 SE
- Huawei MatePad 10.8 inches
- Huawei MatePad 10.4 inches
- Huawei MatePad 5G 10.4 inches
- Huawei Smart Screen V 55 2021
- Huawei Smart Screen V 65 2021
- Huawei Smart Screen V 75 2021
- Huawei Smart Screen V 85 2021
- Huawei Smart Screen S Pro 55
- Huawei Smart Screen S Pro 65
- Huawei Smart Screen S Pro 75
- Huawei Smart Screen S 55
- Huawei Smart Screen S 65
- Huawei Smart Screen S 75
- Huawei Smart Screen X 65
- Huawei P30
- Huawei Mate 20 X 4G
- Huawei Mate 20 X 5G
- Huawei Mate X
- Huawei P30 Pro
- Huawei Nova 5 Pro
- Huawei Enjoy 20 Pro 5G
- Huawei Enjoy Z 5G
- Huawei Enjoy 20 Plus 5G
- Huawei Maimang 9
- Huawei MediaPad M6 10.8-inch
- Huawei MediaPad M6 8.4-inch
- Huawei MediaPad M6 Turbo Edition
- Huawei Enjoy Tablet 2
- Huawei Mate 10
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei Mate 10 Porsche Design
- Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design
- Huawei P20 Pro
- Huawei P20
- Huawei Nova 4
- Huawei Nova 3
- Huawei Nova 5i Pro
- Huawei Nova 5z
- Huawei Nova 5
- Huawei Nova 4e
- Huawei Maimang 8
- Huawei Enjoy 9S
- Huawei Nova 5i
- Huawei Enjoy 10 Plus
- Huawei Mate 9
- Huawei Mate 9 Pro
- Huawei Mate 9 Porsche Design
- Huawei P10
- Huawei P10 Plus
- Huawei Nova 2s
- Huawei Enjoy 10
- Huawei Enjoy 10s
- Huawei Enjoy 9 Plus
- Huawei Nova 3i
- Huawei MediaPad M5 10.8 inches
- Huawei MediaPad M5 8.4 inches
- Huawei MediaPad M5 Pro 10.8 inches
- Huawei MediaPad M5 Youth Edition 10.8 inches
- Huawei MediaPad M5 Youth Edition 8 inches
- Huawei Enjoy Tablet
- Huawei Smart Screen V55i
- Huawei Smart Screen V65i
- Huawei Smart Screen V 65
- Huawei Smart Screen V 65 2019
- Huawei Smart Screen V 76 2019
- Huawei Watch GT 2 Pro
- Huawei Watch GT 2
- Huawei Watch GT 2e
HarmonyOS eligible Honor devices:
- Honor 30
- Honor 30 Pro
- Honor 30 Pro+
- Honor 30S
- Honor V30
- Honor V30 Pro
- Honor V20
- Honor V20 Moschino Edition
- Honor Magic 2
- Honor 20
- Honor 20 Pro
- Honor X10
- Honor X10 Max
- Honor Tablet 6
- Honor Tablet X6
- Honor Play 4 Pro
- Honor 30 Youth Edition
- Honor Play 4
- Honor V10
- Honor 10
- Honor Play
- Honor 20S
- Honor Play4T Pro
- Honor 9X
- Honor 9X Pro
- Honor 8X
- Honor 10 Youth Edition
- Honor 20i
- Honor 9
- Honor V9
- Honor Play 3
- Honor Note 10
- Honor Tablet 5 8-inch
- Honor Tablet 5 10.1-inch
- This list is based on recent leaks and available device information.
- It’s not officially confirmed.
- We may add/remove more devices to the list.
- This article will be continuously updated.