U.S. President Donald Trump has once again proved that Huawei is actually not a security concern, and the company only being used as a bait to grab a good negotiation on a trade deal with China.
Trump said on Friday that the U.S. government will no longer have any dealing with Huawei after the trade talks with China not met his expectations, reported CNBC.
“We are not going to do business with Huawei. … And I really made the decision. It’s much simpler not doing any business with Huawei. … That doesn’t mean we won’t agree to something if and when we make a trade deal,” Trump said.
“We are talking to China; we are not ready to make a deal, but we’ll see what happens … China wants to do something, but I’m not doing anything yet. Twenty-five years of abuse. I’m not ready so fast,” Trump said.
However, the Commerce Department told that it’s still processing special licensing process for companies that want to restart sales to Huawei, and Trump’s comment refers only the ban on the U.S. government purchasing from Huawei.
It was previously reported, that the commerce department has paused the licensing process and the hold in licensing is impacting Huawei’s major suppliers including Micron, Qualcomm, Xilinx and more. Also, it’s expected that China has stopped its purchasing from the U.S. due to the threat of new tariff.
U.S. Commerce Department Secretary Wilbur Ross said last week that he has received around 50 requests to resume shipment to Huawei and expected reach at a decision this week.
The move to resume shipments came after the U.S. president announced to ease restriction on Huawei was placed in the ‘Entity-List’ in May over security concerns, which the company has repeatedly denied.