On November 30, 2021, during the Snapdragon Tech Summit 2021, in HAWAII, Qualcomm has announced its new flagship mobile chipset – Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. This new chipset paves a way towards new 5G, AI gaming, camera, and WiFi, and Bluetooth technologies for flagship smartphone devices.
According to Qualcomm, the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset is adopted by the following smartphone makers:
- Black Shark
- Sony Corporation
The chipset maker also revealed that there will be commercial devices that will launch by the end of 2021.
Now, let’s dive into the features of the newly launched Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset:
- Connectivity: Equipped with the 4th gen Snapdragon X65 5G Modem-RF System, the new Snapdragon 8 is the most advanced 5G mobile platform and the world’s first 5G modem-RF solution to reach 10 Gigabit download speeds. Snapdragon 8 features the Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 Mobile Connectivity System supporting the fastest Wi-Fi speeds available—up to 3.6 Gbps—over Wi-Fi 6 and 6E to ensure games and apps perform smoothly, even with multiple devices on one network.
- Camera: This new premium mobile platform takes smartphone photography beyond pro. Snapdragon Sight™ Technology includes the first commercial 18-bit mobile ISP, capturing over 4000x more camera data than its predecessor for extreme dynamic range, color, and sharpness at staggering speeds up to 3.2 gigapixels per second. This is also the first 8K HDR video capture in a mobile platform and it’s capable of capturing in the premium HDR10+ format that’s loaded with over a billion shades of color. Video will look even more stunning thanks to the new Bokeh Engine which adds beautiful soft backgrounds to videos; it’s like Portrait Mode for video capture. Snapdragon 8 also includes a fourth separate ISP, the new Always-On ISP, which allows the camera to run with extremely low power consumption so users can experience always-on face unlocking and locking if your face isn’t present for heightened privacy.
- AI: The 7th Gen Qualcomm AI Engine is equipped with ultra-high performance and efficient Qualcomm Hexagon processor, featuring a 2x faster tensor accelerator and 2x larger shared memory than its predecessor. Users can capture pro-quality images thanks to intelligently integrated Leica Leitz Look filters—recreating their legendary bokeh effect. The latest AI-based natural language processing from Hugging Face can intelligently serve as your personal assistant by prioritizing and analyzing your notifications. Working with Sonde Health, we are using on-device AI to accelerate their models that can analyze a user’s vocal patterns to determine if a user is at risk for health conditions such as asthma, depression, and COVID-19. Also, a new always-on AI system is powered by the 3rd Gen Qualcomm Sensing Hub with more data streams being processed using the lowest power AI.
- Gaming: With over 50 Snapdragon Elite Gaming features, Snapdragon 8 delivers ultra-smooth responsiveness, color-rich HDR scenes at the highest visual quality, and desktop-level capabilities that are mobile-firsts. The new Qualcomm Adreno GPU provides a 30% boost in graphics rendering capabilities and a 25% improvement in power savings compared to the previous generation to unlock a new generation of mobile GPUs. The platform delivers, Adreno Frame Motion Engine to can generate twice as many frames while maintaining the same power consumption. Another mobile-first feature is Variable Rate Shading Pro to provides a finer grain of control for game developers to further tune game performance. Desktop-level Volumetric rendering brings unrivaled realism to fog, smoke, and particle effects that have been optimized for mobile by Qualcomm Technologies’ in-house Snapdragon Studios.
- Sound: Users can experience a new class of crisp, crystal-clear voice and music with integrated Bluetooth 5.2 and Snapdragon Sound Technology, now featuring Qualcomm aptX Lossless Technology for CD-quality lossless wireless audio. This is the first Snapdragon mobile platform to support all-new LE audio features such as broadcast audio, stereo recording, and voice back-channel for gaming.
- Security: Snapdragon 8 features vault-like security to help keep users’ data protected. This is the first Snapdragon platform to feature a dedicated Trust Management Engine to achieve heightened security and provide additional Root of Trust for apps and services. Snapdragon 8 is also the world’s first mobile platform to feature Android Ready SE—the new standard for digital car keys, drivers’ licenses, and more. Additionally, the Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit features support for iSIM, an integrated SIM card so users can easily and securely connect to cellular networks without a SIM card.
Huawei to sell large capacity battery for renewable energy in Japan
With the growing demand for renewable energy, large-scale battery storage will be needed to conserve the power for a stable supply. According to NikkeiAsia, Huawei will start selling the large-scale battery system for renewable energy storage in Japan in March 2022.
As per the information, Japan is moving away from fossil fuels and shifting to renewable energy. The nation aims to have renewables account for 36% to 38% of energy generation by 2030. The lack of additional capacity in its power grid makes facilities for temporary storage that much more important.
However, Huawei is already a supplier of the small household battery system in Japan. Now, the Chinese tech maker will purchase small battery packs from CATL and bundle them into shipping container-sized units that can each store 2,000 kilowatt-hours of energy — roughly 200 times as much as a standard home battery.
Also, the container capacity can be adjusted based on the buyer’s needs. To be mentioned, Huawei is stepping its feet in the renewable power storage system sector, which is also already occupied by Tesla. Since last year, Tesla has been selling its own large battery system in Japan.
According to the research firm Fuji Keizai, the Japanese market for battery storage for solar and wind power to grow from an estimated 16.7 billion yen ($146 million) in 2020 to 45.8 billion yen in 2030.
Moreover, Huawei’s Japanese arm is eyeing the Hokkaido market, where there is much potential for renewable energy generation but a lack of spare grid capacity. Also, Huawei Japan President James Chen said that “rapid development in solar power technology and cost reduction” in Japan.
On the other hand, Tesla has already installed its first Megapack in Japan last April at a research facility in Ibaraki Prefecture run by Takasago Thermal Engineering. The system controls power flows from solar and biomass gasification facilities there.
This summer season, it is ready to start up a Megapack in Hokkaido connected directly to the transmission grid, to be operated by emerging power provider Global Engineering. However, Japan Renewable Energy, a power company recently acquired by oil wholesaler Eneos Holdings, has said it is using a Tesla battery system in a demonstration project.
Japan has its own producers of large battery systems, such as NGK Insulators and Sumitomo Electric Industries that deliver dozens per year to customers inside and outside Japan.
But the Power companies including Tokyo Electric Power Co. Holdings, and trading houses such as Sumitomo Corp. and Marubeni are looking forward for commercialize large storage systems made up of linked auto batteries.
Tesla Japan is expected to sell its systems for $440 per kWh or less, and Huawei aims to be competitive with that price. Meanwhile, an executive at an emerging power company Japan said “When we get batteries, we pick the company with the lowest cost,” that is involved in renewable energy.
Huawei and China Unicom achieves new breakthrough in 5G super uplink technology
Huawei and China Unicom have recently adapted 5G super uplink “cross-site” flexible pairing technology for the first time in the industry. This triggered the first to use, large-scale commercial use of the entire network system.
Also, the latest collaboration between Huawei and China Unicom further strengthens the cooperation between two firms and promotes the joint operation of the 5G network and technology as well as efficiently promotes the development of the 5G super uplink industry.
5G Super Uplink:
With 5G super uplink “cross-site” flexible pairing technology, the optimal super uplink pairing between a TDD (Time Division Duplex) cell and a nearby FDD (Frequency Division Duplex) cell can be achieved, which can effectively improve 5G The effective ratio of super uplink users improves 5G network coverage and user experience.
Tests on the live network show that Guangzhou Unicom adopts the 5G super uplink “cross-site” flexible pairing technology, which increases the uplink coverage of edge users by an average of 5dB.
As a result, the experience of users with effective super uplink has been greatly improved. The proportion of low-rate experience of super uplink users on the entire network has been reduced from 15% to 3%, and the corresponding 5G traffic has also increased by 5 – 10%.
Guangzhou, as the “capital of live broadcast e-commerce”, ranks among the top in the country for live broadcast e-commerce. The proportion of 5G video application traffic is around 60%, and applications such as live broadcast, online meetings, online courses, high-definition pictures and large file uploads are becoming more and more popular.
The large-scale deployment of 5G Super Uplink will bring the coverage and capacity improvement at the edge of the network, which will enable China Unicom Super Uplink users to enter the 1080p Full HD and 4K Ultra HD era for their uplink video experience, and continue to meet users’ growing uplink service experience and requirements.
Huawei is listed in key projects list of Qingdao City in 2022
Huawei is continuously working and expanding its business in every sector alongside its major smartphone. According to the latest news, Huawei’s new projects have appeared on the Qingdao city municipal major projects 2022 list.
On January 10, the Qingdao Development and Reform Commission has officially released the Qingdao municipal major projects list. The projects are implemented in 2022 with the consent of the Qingdao city municipal government.
Also, the new information reveals that major companies listed in the key projects 2022 of Qingdao city list include Huawei, BOE, Konka, Royale, Goertek, and more. Further, this year’s “No. 1 Document” and “Notice on the announcement of the List of Major Projects in Qingdao in 2022″, Qingdao once again aimed to four new economies with focusing on the main direction of advanced manufacturing, planning ahead, careful investigation, and performing sincerely
According to the idea of ”concentrate on key projects and focus on key projects”, the Qingdao city government researched and determined that in 2022, the city will arrange 416 major projects with a total investment of 928.21 billion yuan.
Qingdao city project planning:
The Qingdao government announced that the 416 major projects include 300 construction projects with a total investment of 639.56 billion yuan. While the rest 116 initial projects with a total investment of 288.65 billion yuan.
The notice also discloses that out of 416 projects, 238 are “four new” economic projects, with a total investment of 415.506 billion yuan, and the number and investment ratio are 57.2% and 44.8%, respectively.
From the point of view of industrial sectors, the top three industrial sectors accounting for 44.3% are:
- High-end equipment industry
- The new-generation information technology industry
- New energy and materials industry
The major construction projects include:
- Huawei Artificial Intelligence Computing Center project
- Qingdao Microelectronics Industrial Park and intelligent microsystem module industrialization project
- BOE IoT mobile display port device production base project
- CIS photosensitive chip packaging and camera module manufacturing projects
- Sixth generation fully flexible color AMOLED display production line project
- Huaxin Jingyuan’s third-generation semiconductor compound wafer substrate project,
- Qingdao Fusion New Material Technology Co., Ltd.’s mini LED backplane project and more.