On 28th October 2021, Counterpoint released Q3 2021 smartphone sales report evaluating the China smartphone market. Despite the US-Sanction, chip shortage, and lack of 5G RF components, Huawei shows even performance for this quarter.
In the last quarter, Vivo, OPPO, Xiaomi, Apple, and Huawei gained 23%, 21%, 17%, 14%, and 10% of the market while in 2021 Q3 has Vivo, OPPO, Honor, Xiaomi, and Apple on top five. However, the decline in the former smartphone market ruler is quite expected.
According to the Counterpoint smartphone sales report for Q3 2021, Huawei has a 77% of YoY drop, and an 18% QoQ drop with 13% of the market share. Meanwhile, the company recorded a 10% market share for Q2 2021 while a YoY decrease of 72%.
We can say, the company has a uniform performance with a slight increase in market shares concerning the current situation. There are some factors to be blamed among them 4G processor of the Huawei P50 lineup comes first.
Although the only lacking of this smartphone is negligible seeing its flagship capacity, 5G was on demand during this quarter. Second is the delay in the launch of the Huawei Mate 50 smartphone, which can’t contribute to sales.
In addition, other vendors like Vivo, OPPO, Apple, and Xiaomi were successful to attract users with 5G network demands. It made the users give up on Huawei and enjoy 5G network with other brands. Yet, we hope for the company to regain its market in the upcoming time however, it’ll take a while.
Below you can check the tabular analysis of the Q3 2021 smartphone sales report of Counterpoint-
(Image Source Counterpoint)
Counterpoint Report Highlights: Q3 2021 smartphone sales
- Smartphone sales accounted for 79% in China for Q3 2021
- Smartphone sales in China increased by 3% at a monthly rate
- The Year on Year market declined by 9%
- The smartphone’s demands were relatively low
- 5G smartphones have become the mainstream offering in the country
- Vivo conquers the entire market with 22% shares
- Honor shows the fastest-growing rate and reached the third position
- Apple recorded the maximum benefits with 48% of YoY growth
- OPPO Reno 6, OPPO A55, and OPPO A93 contributed most in rising the company’s sale
Huawei Mate V foldable phone to launch on December 23
It was previously reported that Huawei is planning to launch a new foldable phone this month. Therefore, a new input has emerged that shows that this new foldable phone, allegedly called Mate V will launch on December 23, 2021.
According to a well-known Weibo tipster, Huawei will launch the next foldable phone – Mate V clamshell-style smartphone on December 23 along with a new smartwatch – Watch D with blood pressure measurement feature support.
Furthermore, the tipster revealed that Huawei has a new Watch Fit mini sports series, smart screen (smart TV), MateBook, MatePad paper, Bluetooth glasses as well as other smart products that will make their way to the upcoming launch event.
Huawei consumer business group CEO, Yu Chengdong has been out of action from the last two launch events of Huawei but it’s likely that Yu will join this upcoming Huawei launch showcase that will host a bunch of new products.
It’s also revealed that Yu will announce, the first HaronyOS powered smart SUV CERES AITO car on December 23, equipped with HarmonyOS car. Yu Chengdong said Huawei has 30 years in communications applications, ICT field accumulated core technology to help AITO build a mid-size luxury SUV, the car will be the first equipped with the latest Huawei obscurity intelligent cockpit for a smart user experience.
Huawei Mate V:
Huawei Mate V has a flip-style foldable design, the trademark and design patent of this phone has been spotted on various inspection authorities around the globe. To be mentioned Huawei has long been preparing to launch this phone alongside the Huawei Mate X2.
According to our previous report, this clamshell phone comes with a full view display that folds inward and features a notch on the head. There are function keys on the left and the right side consist volume and power buttons. Meanwhile, the bottom side features ports and speaker grills for the input.
The rear design shows us a camera bump that is large and placed vertical camera system featuring different lense. The right side of the lens shows sensors for different aspects of photography.
Chinese smartphone makers are naive to think that Huawei market share is vacated for them: Honor CEO
Huawei‘s former subsidiary – Honor has released the Honor 60 series smartphones. However, Honor CEO, Zhao Ming has announced that Chinese smartphone makers should not be naive that the market vacated by Huawei will only be divided into them. This is quite a bold statement that has been made by the smartphone maker’s chief and showcases the reality of the market that has players such as Apple with a very strong presence.
Last November, Honor became an independent smartphone maker and its market fell to 3 percent after its breakup with Huawei. After regaining supply chain access, Honor has reached the top three Chinese smartphone makers in the third quarter and gained 17 percent of the total market share.
Since Huawei has lost a big chunk of the Chinese smartphone market share, more and more smartphone makers are looking to take advantage of this situation and quickly gather the market share.
However, Apple’s market share and its performance remain strong in the country, and in October, most of the Chinese smartphone sellers have shown that the iPhone 13 has topped every rating.
Regarding this, Zhao said that it’s very naive and naive to think that the market left by Huawei has vacated to be divided into several domestic brands. On the other hand, the market will never tolerate this kind of naiveness.
The Honor chief said that the company will continue to innovate and will launch new high-end flagship devices aiming at surpassing the strongest competitors.
(Source – Sohu)
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 launched, a new flagship chipset
On November 30, 2021, during the Snapdragon Tech Summit 2021, in HAWAII, Qualcomm has announced its new flagship mobile chipset – Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. This new chipset paves a way towards new 5G, AI gaming, camera, and WiFi, and Bluetooth technologies for flagship smartphone devices.
According to Qualcomm, the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset is adopted by the following smartphone makers:
- Black Shark
- Sony Corporation
The chipset maker also revealed that there will be commercial devices that will launch by the end of 2021.
Now, let’s dive into the features of the newly launched Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset:
- Connectivity: Equipped with the 4th gen Snapdragon X65 5G Modem-RF System, the new Snapdragon 8 is the most advanced 5G mobile platform and the world’s first 5G modem-RF solution to reach 10 Gigabit download speeds. Snapdragon 8 features the Qualcomm FastConnect 6900 Mobile Connectivity System supporting the fastest Wi-Fi speeds available—up to 3.6 Gbps—over Wi-Fi 6 and 6E to ensure games and apps perform smoothly, even with multiple devices on one network.
- Camera: This new premium mobile platform takes smartphone photography beyond pro. Snapdragon Sight™ Technology includes the first commercial 18-bit mobile ISP, capturing over 4000x more camera data than its predecessor for extreme dynamic range, color, and sharpness at staggering speeds up to 3.2 gigapixels per second. This is also the first 8K HDR video capture in a mobile platform and it’s capable of capturing in the premium HDR10+ format that’s loaded with over a billion shades of color. Video will look even more stunning thanks to the new Bokeh Engine which adds beautiful soft backgrounds to videos; it’s like Portrait Mode for video capture. Snapdragon 8 also includes a fourth separate ISP, the new Always-On ISP, which allows the camera to run with extremely low power consumption so users can experience always-on face unlocking and locking if your face isn’t present for heightened privacy.
- AI: The 7th Gen Qualcomm AI Engine is equipped with ultra-high performance and efficient Qualcomm Hexagon processor, featuring a 2x faster tensor accelerator and 2x larger shared memory than its predecessor. Users can capture pro-quality images thanks to intelligently integrated Leica Leitz Look filters—recreating their legendary bokeh effect. The latest AI-based natural language processing from Hugging Face can intelligently serve as your personal assistant by prioritizing and analyzing your notifications. Working with Sonde Health, we are using on-device AI to accelerate their models that can analyze a user’s vocal patterns to determine if a user is at risk for health conditions such as asthma, depression, and COVID-19. Also, a new always-on AI system is powered by the 3rd Gen Qualcomm Sensing Hub with more data streams being processed using the lowest power AI.
- Gaming: With over 50 Snapdragon Elite Gaming features, Snapdragon 8 delivers ultra-smooth responsiveness, color-rich HDR scenes at the highest visual quality, and desktop-level capabilities that are mobile-firsts. The new Qualcomm Adreno GPU provides a 30% boost in graphics rendering capabilities and a 25% improvement in power savings compared to the previous generation to unlock a new generation of mobile GPUs. The platform delivers, Adreno Frame Motion Engine to can generate twice as many frames while maintaining the same power consumption. Another mobile-first feature is Variable Rate Shading Pro to provides a finer grain of control for game developers to further tune game performance. Desktop-level Volumetric rendering brings unrivaled realism to fog, smoke, and particle effects that have been optimized for mobile by Qualcomm Technologies’ in-house Snapdragon Studios.
- Sound: Users can experience a new class of crisp, crystal-clear voice and music with integrated Bluetooth 5.2 and Snapdragon Sound Technology, now featuring Qualcomm aptX Lossless Technology for CD-quality lossless wireless audio. This is the first Snapdragon mobile platform to support all-new LE audio features such as broadcast audio, stereo recording, and voice back-channel for gaming.
- Security: Snapdragon 8 features vault-like security to help keep users’ data protected. This is the first Snapdragon platform to feature a dedicated Trust Management Engine to achieve heightened security and provide additional Root of Trust for apps and services. Snapdragon 8 is also the world’s first mobile platform to feature Android Ready SE—the new standard for digital car keys, drivers’ licenses, and more. Additionally, the Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit features support for iSIM, an integrated SIM card so users can easily and securely connect to cellular networks without a SIM card.