US banned new equipments made by Huawei
It’s been a long time since the US administration is making accusations against Huawei and banned it as a national security threat. But there’s a new addition to this story.
According to Reuters, US federal communication on Friday said to adopt final rules and banned the sale or import of new equipment made by Huawei citing “an unacceptable risk” to U.S national security.
Other than Huawei, the US fed accused and stopped sales from China’s surveillance equipment maker Dahua Tech, Hikvision, and telecom firm Hytera communication.
FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel said these rules are an important part of the US’s ongoing actions to protect the American people from national security threats involving telecommunications. However, Jessica didn’t cite any evidence of espionage.
So far, Huawei has not commented on this decision but the company has been continuously denying posing a security risk to the U.S.
FCC proposed such a ban on equipment and devices in a list of companies proposed last year. However, it’s derived from Entity List.
In 2019, the former U.S. president, Donald Trump announced the Entity List. It targets tech giants such as Huawei from getting key U.S. technologies to build new products such as smartphones or network equipment.
In the following year, FCC designated Huawei as a national security threat alongside ZTE. The US ordered to the removal of Huawei from the country’s network infrastructure. On the hand, the commission has passed a bill to provide 1.8 billion USD in assistance for service providers to remove Huawei-made gears.
Still, U.S. carriers need more funds than the actual one that was announced by the FCC. The subsidy will only cover around 20-40% of the equipment, while they’ll have to pay the rest of the price from their own funds.
The new ban on Huawei and other Chinese companies may create some headlines for the U.S. in the name of national security. Yet, the US is not showing any evidence of how Huawei poses national security.