Huawei says Trump’s promise to ease trade restrictions is not a big change
After the release of 2018 Sustainability Report, Huawei Chairman, Liang Hua said the company wasn’t treated fairly by the US and expressed that the new promises made by Trump won’t make any difference.
Android is still the first choice, undecided on Hongmeng OS: Huawei Chairman
In May, the US Commerce Department added Huawei in the ‘Entity List’ which bars the company from accessing U.S origin technologies and doing business inside the country. Citing that the company could use its equipment for espionage, which Huawei has repeatedly denied.
On June 29, US President Donald Trump announced on the sidelines of G20 summit in Japan that companies can resume selling technologies to Huawei, which was recently approved by the Commerce Department but the company still remained in the ‘Entity List’.
“So far we haven’t seen any tangible change,” said. Liang
“We’re not saying that just because things have relaxed a little, we’re fine with being on the blacklist,” he said. “Actually, we believe our listing on the blacklist should be lifted completely.”
The US trade restrictions, according to the company’s founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei, would cost around $30 billion from the total projected revenue $100 billion for this and the upcoming year.
As after Trump’s announcement, suppliers that want to sell goods to Huawei will get additional licenses from the Commerce Department and will be under high scrutiny. Although, the commerce didn’t announce which goods will be allowed to sell to Huawei but did mention that only widely available tech will pass the process and not the sensitive ones.