Following the P30 series, Huawei announced the rollout of HarmonyOS 3 first beta for the Mate 20 series. This is a major development for this old flagship lineup as it will now get a brand-new software ecosystem with major improvements.
Huawei is rolling out HarmonyOS 3 beta for Mate 20 series with firmware version 126.96.36.199. It is noted, this rollout is out for the users who participated in the first batch of beta activity.
However, you should also remember that Huawei is sending this beta build gradually among the eligible device owners. Below you can check the Mate 20 models:
- Mate 20 (HMA-AL00)
- Mate 20 (HMA-TL00)
- Mate 20 Pro (LYA-AL00, LYA-AL10)
- Mate 20 Pro (LYA-TL00)
- Mate 20 RS (LYA-AL00P)
- Mate 20 X（4G） (EVR-AL00)
- Mate 20 X（4G） (EVR-TL00)
The latest rollout comes under the closed beta label and it’ll be followed by public beta after a round of beta OTA software tests. Meanwhile, the stable release may take some time to release among Huawei Mate 20 series users.
Huawei Mate 20 is currently divided into global and Chinese versions. The Chinese version runs HarmonyOS 2 operating system, which was upgraded from EMUI 11. On the other hand, the global version of these models runs EMUI 12.
But the new HarmonyOS 3 upgrade will allow the owners of this flagship to experience a brand feature set.
HarmonyOS 3 beta notes:
- Due to version restrictions, you are required to upgrade to version 188.8.131.520 first, otherwise, you will not receive the latest beta version.
- During the closed beta testing, you have to enable the user experience improvement plan switch (path: Settings-System and Update-User Experience Improvement Plan), which would help the Huawei software team to conduct system and app analysis, fault diagnosis, etc., and continuously improve the quality of the version.
- This update will not delete your data, but it is still recommended that you back up all important data to your PC or cloud before upgrading. Also, confirm that the backup content is complete and valid, otherwise, there may be a risk of data loss.
- Because some third-party applications may not be compatible with HarmonyOS, the third-party application may not work properly after the update. It is recommended that you try to update the apps to the latest version in Huawei AppGallery.
- After the upgrade is complete, the phone may experience heat, lag, or slow charging. This is caused by some self-optimization and adaptation actions performed by the system after the upgrade. Please rest assured that it will recover by itself after a period of time. It is recommended that you charge for 1 hour in your spare time. During the charging period, the system will optimize once to ensure that the mobile phone application is quickly adapted.
- This update needs 8GB of free space, and the installation package will be automatically deleted after the update without taking up storage space.