Huawei is aiming to develop a distributed OS that can satisfy the user’s need of low latency and strong security.” In this line, the company released the HarmonyOS, a lightweight compact operating system with powerful functionality.
Initially, it was released for smart IoT devices such as smartwatches, smart screens, smart cars, and more. The company is continually exploring this OS so it can fit in today’s scenarios where people expect a holistic intelligent experience across all devices.
To accomplish this goal, Huawei recently announced the OpenHarmony 1.1.0 LTS version, which is far better than the previous 1.1 LTS. This new version will come with an AI subsystem, power management subsystem, pan-Sensor subsystem, Upgrade subsystems, unified AI engine framework, and more.
LTS Brief Intro:
To be mentioned, Long-term support (LTS) is a product lifecycle management policy in which a stable release of computer software is maintained for a longer period of time than the standard edition.
The term is typically reserved for open-source software, where it describes a software edition that is supported for months or years longer than the software’s standard edition.
It’s worth bringing up that Open Harmony is an open-source project handle by the OpenAtom Foundation, and is positioned as an open-source distributed operating system for all scenarios.
This latest version ensures the pyramidal transferability rebuilding of the liteOS-Mkernal. Adding to that the driver subsystem enhances the driver models of Wi-Fi, Sensor, Input, and Display, and targets the graphics subsystem to UI capabilities, JS framework performance, and memory optimization.
Furthermore, Huawei also revealed the schedule for the OpenHarmony version, which is likely to start the next year.
Let’s take a detailed look at the changes that come with the new 1.1.0 LTS version of OpenHarmony:
- LiteOS-M supports Cortex-M7, Cortex-M33, and RISC-V chip architectures, and adds corresponding single-board target examples
- LiteOS-M supports MPU function
- LiteOS-M supports some POSIX interfaces
- LiteOS-M supports FatFS file system
- LiteOS-M supports an exception callback function registration mechanism
- LiteOS-M tripartite chip adaptability architecture adjustment
- LiteOS-M and LiteOS-A support heap memory debugging functions, including memory leaks, memory stepping, and memory statistics
- LiteOS-M and LiteOS-A support the TLSF heap memory algorithm to improve the efficiency of memory application and release as well as reduce the fragmentation rate
- LiteOS-A scheduling optimization
2) Pan Sensor
- The new Sensor component provides functions such as querying the sensor list, starting and stopping the sensor, subscribing/unsubscribing to the sensor, setting the data reporting mode, and setting the sampling interval
- Added 79 languages for number formatting, date and time formatting, singular and plural C/C++ internationalization interfaces
4) JS Application Development Framework
- Added support for the opacity global attribute of the JS front end
- Added prompt.showDialog API
- Added the QR code component QRcode
- Added event bubbling mechanism
- Internationalization performance optimization, speed up page jump, support digital internationalization and time and date conversion
- The front-end layout capability is enhanced, and some style values support setting percentages
- The size adaptation capability of input and switch components is enhanced
- The image component has enhanced capabilities to support the display of application private data catalog pictures
- The image-animator component has enhanced capabilities to support end frame designation
- The canvas component capabilities are enhanced, and some APIs are added
- The device.getInfo API is enhanced, and some return fields are added
- DFX capabilities are enhanced to support method stacks for tracking exceptions
- The internationalization function no longer supports the backtracking feature
- The new test tool filters the test cases to be executed according to the use case level
- Added test demo use cases
- Added component-level rotation zoom and component-level transparency
- Added event bubbling mechanism and added rotating crown event
- Added GIF image analysis display, added percentage width and height layout, added Video and QR code controls
- Partial rendering and SIMD performance optimization
7) Public Foundation
- Added dump system attribute function
- Added memory pool management interface for upper-level modules
- Added sensor, input, and display driver models
- Added mipi dsi and PWM (pulse width modulation)
- Added WIFI HDI interface and WIFI flow control
- Added driver framework IO service grouping feature
- Optimize the driver loading process and support segmented loading
9) Distributed Communication
- Added WiFi Aware feature module
- IPC added support for unaligned serialization
- Added HUKS to provide SHA256/RSA3072/RSA2048/AES128/ECC security algorithms and interfaces, as well as key management and storage capabilities
- HiChain provides lightweight non-account lightweight components for device group management and authentication, supports soft bus communication security; provides APIs for system services and applications
- Authority management adds a unified authority management mechanism to meet the authority authorization requirements for lightweight devices
11) AI Subsystem
- Added a unified AI engine framework to achieve rapid plug-in integration of algorithm capabilities. The framework mainly includes modules such as plug-in management, module management, and communication management, and carries out life cycle management and on-demand deployment of AI algorithm capabilities
- Provide developers with a development guide, and provide 2 AI capability plug-ins based on the AI engine framework and the corresponding AI application Sample, which is convenient for developers to quickly integrate AI algorithm capabilities in the AI engine framework
12) Upgrade Service
- Added a new lightweight equipment upgrade capability framework, which includes the validation and analysis capabilities of the upgrade package, as well as the installed interfaces, to unify the light equipment upgrade capability framework
13) XTS Certification
- Add AI, DFX, global, OTA compatibility test cases
- Enhanced testing capabilities for application frameworks, public communications, distributed task scheduling, IoT, and kernels
14) Compile and Build
- Added the command line tool hb, which uses hb set and hb build methods to build, and supports building in the source directory and any subdirectory
- Support independent chip manufacturer components
- Support the use of component names to build components separately
- Support custom compilation toolchain and compilation options according to the development board
- Product configuration is decoupled from the build_lite warehouse and modified to “vendor/solution vendor/product/config.json”
15) Power Management
- Power query function
- Bright screen lock management function and interface
Youbo launches new OpenHarmony-based UB-RK3566 processor
Youbo Technology cooperation has launched a new OpenHarmony-based UB-RK3566 processor. The chipset is mainly developed for IoT (Internet of Things) applications and smart devices.
According to the latest information, the OpenHarmony-based UB-RK3566 processor supports powerful functioning and brilliant performance on the surface. Besides, it is also eligible for high-end display engines and other technologies.
Further, the latest Youbo chipset is uprooted on an A55 process structure. It holds an ARM G52 2EE GPU and also supports a dual-screen display. Alongside tech-pack elements, the chip also uses a self-developed JPEG decoding microprocessor.
In terms of functions, the UB-RK3566 processor is capable of showcasing 1080 at 60 fps resolution, H0264, and H.265 format encoding, supports dynamic rate, frame rate, resolution adjustment, and many other display-related features.
On the other hand, the processor can efficiently work in dual-camera scenarios. Ultimately, operators can have a crystal clear image with effective lighting due to the UB-RK3566 chipset.
You can check the major functions, below:
- High computing power with less consumption: The processor installs a Rockchip RK3566 quad-core 64-bit Cortex-A55 unit and can easily support up to 0.8T computing power. Besides, it improves the battery life of devices
- Seld-developed display chips: The processor already holds finer display chips to reduce the excessive cost of display components. These chips can bear 2200 x 1650 resolution
- High-definition display: Since the processor has high-quality display chips, it offers an immersive virtual experience. It also supports HDMI 4K resolution at 60Hz, 1080P resolution at 60Hz, and more
- Complete display interface: the latest processor supports HDMI2.0 interface, supports dual-channel MIPI DSI, and can drive a 2.5K LCD screen. It also holds Eink, and can directly drive the ink screen.
- Rick Interface expansion facilities and Strong network wireless connection.
These functions make the processor compatible with high-end IoT applications and work conveniently without creating any hindrances in performance or functioning.
OpenHarmony-based HiHopeOS gets China UnionPay digital service certificate
Runhe Software HiHopeOS (based on OpenHarmony) has received a new China UnionPay financial and digital service certificate. Eventually, this certification will make the respective OS compatible with the China UnionPay technical specifications.
To begin with, the China UnionPay cooperation is releasing new configurations for digital service devices. Accordingly, these devices require an operating system that can be eligible with the latest technologies and specifications.
Consequently, to obtain a suitable operating system, China UnionPay carried out a qualification program. A variety of operating systems entered into this scenario. However, the OpenHarmony-based HiHopeOS financial release version is the first product to get the China UnionPay certificate.
To be mentioned, HiHopeOS distribution consists of multiple variants for different scenarios and operations. For instance, the IoT Edition for operating lightweight devices and gadgets.
As of now, the HiHopeOS financial version has gained digital service certification. This development will help the Runhe Software cooperation to indulge with more ecological partners and expand the HiHopeOS ecosystem in more sectors.
Digital Service Certification
It’s worth mentioning that the latest digital service certification was based on the following major aspects:
- Basic requirements of the operating system
- Interface layer requirements
- System service layer
- Security functions and technology
- third-party library components
According to the outcomes, the HiHopeOS effectively meets all the points and is reliable with digital services and other high-end devices.
New developments with HiHopeOS
So far, Runhe Software has integrated with various industrial groups and partners to stretch the manufacturing of new products. Besides, the company has associated with several tech makers for smart inventions.
Up to this point, the company has developed smart POS, MPOS, code-scanning machines, cloud speakers, recorders, and many other useful products. Notably, these techs involve the HiHopeOS in their internal structures.
Alternatively, the new achievement of HiHopeOS will help Runhe Software to build a firm partnership with China UnionPay cooperation and develop more new products and services for consumers.
Open Source HarmonyOS OpenHarmony 3.2 Beta 4 rolling out
OpenAtom foundation has released open source HarmonyOS, OpenHarmony 3.2 Beta 4 for the developers. This version brings a number of new improvements to the kernel and internal features of the software.
To be mentioned, OpenHarmony 3.2 beta 4 is based on beta 3 and includes the following changes.
Enhancement of the basic capabilities of the standard system:
- The program access control subsystem supports forward CFI, API exception handling optimization, etc.
- The kernel subsystem supports Hyperhold memory expansion feature enhancement, F2FS terminal performance enhancement, and optimization.
- The multi-mode input subsystem supports enabling and disabling keyboard function keys, and multi-hot zone support related to input devices.
- The graphics subsystem supports the transmission of graphics data based on the shared memory mechanism, supports YUV layers, supports GPU composition on the RS side, and supports rotation and dynamic resolution of the virtual screen, etc.
- The upgrade subsystem supports AB hot upgrade function, flashd upgrade supports AB partition device upgrade, SD/OTG upgrade supports AB partition device upgrade.
- The globalization subsystem supports on-demand subscription of device management events, system resources support overlay difference, and resource management supports cross-OS platform capabilities.
- The Misc software subsystem supports uploading files in PUT mode, download management supports configuration download tasks, input method framework optimization and enhancement, and supports printing service framework.
- The DFX subsystem supports power consumption data collection, system event data collection, perf data collection, etc.
- The ArkTS API has newly added support for reporting error codes, helping developers quickly catch exceptions and improving the efficiency of exception handling.
Standard System Application Development Framework Enhancements
- Supports dynamic library isolation, operation management supports pending application interception.
- Support window attribute setting, support ArkTS card interaction, XComponent provides container component capabilities, etc.
- Supports configuration of application dependencies supports adding, deleting, and checking operations on the list of application installation and uninstallation, and supports adding, deleting, and checking operations on the list of applications that are prohibited from running.
Standard system distributed capability enhancement:
- Distributed hardware supports the same account credential parameter request and import.