Huawei DevEco Studio is an all-in integrated development environment for Huawei’s full scenario and multiple devices, providing developers with project template creation, development compilation, debugging, end to end HarmonyOS application development services such as testing and publishing them on the store.
Previously, Huawei already released two DevEco Studio beta versions that brought lots of new changes, improvements, and features, which help out the developers in improving the innovation productivity.
Now, Huawei has started delivering one more beta for developers, DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta 3. With the latest changelog, the company introduced new features including a two-preview function, data simulation function, and much more.
New Beta version:
- Huawei DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta 3
What’s in this update:
- The previewer adds a two-way preview function
- The previewer adds the data simulation function of the Java UI interface
- The editor adds config.json visual configuration function
- The editor has a new resource creation wizard function
- New Java testing framework
- Added 5 new phone project templates
- Optimizations for existing features
Take a look at new changes in detail:
1. The previewer adds a two-way preview function
At the time of HarmonyOS application development, the developers need to click “Previewer” to view the application’s UI interface effect. When the developer finds that the layout display of the UI interface does not meet expectations (eg: the width of the control does not meet the set value, the control is not displayed, etc.), so it is necessary to check the layout or control abnormality in the UI interface one by one.
In order to improve the efficiency of development, DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta 3 unlocks the two-way preview function on the basis of the existing “real-time preview” and “dynamic preview”.
- Real-time preview: As long as the modified source code is saved in the layout file, the layout effect can be viewed in real-time in the previewer.
- Dynamic preview: In the previewer interface, you can operate the interactive actions of the application in the previewer, such as click events, jumps, and slides, which are consistent with the interactive experience of the application running on a real device.
The so-called two-way preview is to support the linkage between the code editor and the previewer interface (including the property list), which is convenient for quickly positioning the control, thereby improving the efficiency of solving UI interface problems. Developers can open the two-way preview function by clicking on the icon on the previewer interface.
The specific linkage effects are as follows:
- After modifying the attribute or style through the attribute list in the previewer interface, the source code in the code editor will be modified synchronously, and the previewer interface will be refreshed in real-time.
- Similarly, if you modify the source code in the code editor, the previewer interface and attribute list will be refreshed in real-time.
2.The previewer adds the data simulation function of the Java UI interface
In the preview scene, because the code running environment is different from the running environment on the real device, a valid return value cannot be obtained when calling some interfaces. If developers want to make different UI interface displays based on the return value, they need to manually modify the code logic repeatedly to verify the effects of different UI interfaces.
In order to reduce the modification, DevEco Studio provides PreviewMock data simulation function, that is, without changing the business operation logic, simulate the return value of various methods in the API or business code (excluding the construction method) and the Field in the object (not including final field). In this way, the developer can view the interface changes brought about by different return values during the preview.
However, it is worth mentioning that DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta 3 currently only supports the PreviewMock data simulation function of the Java UI interface. At the same time, if you want to use the PreviewMock data simulation function, you need to add related dependencies in the module’s build.gradle, and resynchronize the project.
In addition to the above features, in the preview of the Java UI interface, when the developer previews Ability or AbilitySlice, save the modified code to achieve real-time preview; in the preview of the JS UI interface, the developer can directly select a certain A page (page) for real-time dynamic preview.
3. The editor adds config.json visual configuration function
As an introductory player in HarmonyOS application development, do you repeatedly consult the documentation on the HarmonyOS official website in order to understand the meaning of the configuration items? In order to reduce the behavior of developers repeatedly switching the interface to look up data and documents, DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta 3 has added a new visual configuration function.
Developers can open the config.json file and click the button to open the settings interface to view the important attributes and their meanings that need to be filled in the project and improve the configuration of application name, application version number, application type, ability, device type, application permissions, etc. item.
However, during the development process, there may be scenarios with too many levels of configuration items, for example: when configuring the “Module ›Ablilities› Meta Data ›Merge Rule› Replace” field, the user can quickly locate the attribute through the search box and click the add button, Enter the relevant merge rules, trigger the system to automatically create a tree structure of configuration items in the config.json file, complete the configuration of the merge rules, and save configuration time.
4. The editor has a new resource creation wizard function
When creating a resource catalog with qualifiers, developers need to consider the value of the qualifiers, the order in which different qualifiers match each other, etc. A slight deviation will cause HarmonyOS to fail to detect suitable resources when the application is running. Unable to show the expected effect.
In order to reduce the chance of errors when developers create resource directories with qualifiers, DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta 3 adds a new resource creation wizard function. Users can select or input according to the interface prompts to complete the creation of resource directories and files without thinking. The combination of various qualifiers.
5. New Java testing framework
In order to reduce the tedious manual testing process, DevEco Studio 2.1 Beta3 adds a new Java testing framework, providing white-box testing capabilities for Java code, helping developers to efficiently write and execute test cases, and to ensure the basic quality of applications.
In the development stage, developers can use the IAbilityDelegator provided by the Java testing framework to perform APP component manipulation tests (such as starting/closing FA, obtaining interface UI elements, injecting UI click events, etc.) to discover UI interaction problems in time. Or use the JUnit 4 syntax paradigm to write test cases, call system interfaces, obtain API return values or trigger business processes, and judge the correctness of business logic based on interface return values or business status.
Prerequisites for the Java testing framework to run on a real machine or remote simulator device:
- The remote simulator needs to register a developer account and complete real-name authentication
- The real device must be equipped with HarmonyOS operating system, debug mode should be turned on, and the corresponding signature file should be provided.
6. Added 5 new phone project templates
DevEco Studio supports seven devices: Phone, Tablet, Car, Smart Screen (TV), Smart Wearable, Lightweight Smart Wearable (Lite Wearable), and Smart Vision. HarmonyOS application development supports Java, JS, and C/C++ programming languages.
In order to facilitate the use of developers, DevEco Studio provides ability templates for multiple device types and different development languages. In this new version, on the original basis, 5 new mobile phone (Phone) project templates are added, and there are currently 19 mobile phones (Phone) project templates. Developers can select appropriate templates according to the project wizard, easily create projects suitable for all types of equipment, and automatically generate corresponding code and resource templates.
7. Additional optimizations
- Upgrade IntelliJ IDEA base to IntelliJ IDEA CommunityEdition 2020.2.4 version (warm reminder: due to base upgrade, developers need to manually upgrade unavailable third-party plug-ins to avoid incompatibility with installed third-party plug-ins)
- In the debugging phase, the developer can set the installation method of the hap package. If you choose to overwrite the installation, the cached data in the installed application will be retained, and there is no need to reinstall the application and then rebuild the relevant data, which is convenient for debugging.
- Solved the problem of slow or failed downloading of Node.js by some developers. By integrating Node.js and pre-installing the npm warehouse of Huawei’s public cloud, the time to build a HarmonyOS application development environment is further shortened.
- It has been adapted to support macOS 11.2.2 version.
- Solved the problem that the drawable resources in XML cannot be associated.
(Via – ithome)
Huawei HarmonyOS January 2022 Updates List
Huawei has released the latest January 2022 HarmonyOS security patch details for its smartphone and tablet devices. However, the rollout of this new security update is about to start meanwhile the December 2021 update is on the move. So, Huawei will dispatch the HarmonyOS updates for a bunch of devices throughout January 2022.
Alongside the monthly update rollout, Huawei has also started preparing for the next major software update – HarmonyOS 3.0. According to the information, HarmonyOS 3.0 beta testing could begin in April and followed by a public beta phase. However, a stable HM 3.0 rollout is likely to start in July 2022.
A few days ago, Huawei has replied to us on the matter of HarmonyOS for global consumers that currently there is no plan for smartphones outside China to upgrade to HarmonyOS. Until then, Huawei users in the overseas markets can enjoy EMUI 12 that looks similar to HarmonyOS.
Amid these discussions, Huawei will continue the rollout of regular HarmonyOS software and security updates to its devices. Also, the company keeps dispatching the major software updates from time to time to improve its models.
With the HarmonyOS January 2022 updates list, we will keep updated with all the HarmonyOS security and software updates released for Huawei devices this month and brief you about them.
Huawei HarmonyOS January 2022 Updates:
January 21, 2022:
January 22, 2022:
- Honor Play 3 smartphone has started receiving a new HarmonyOS software update that mainly installs the December 2021 security patch. Read more
- Huawei is sending a January 2022 HarmonyOS software update for the Huawei Nova 5z smartphone. Read more
- Honor 20 and 20 Pro smartphones users have started receiving the latest HarmonyOS update that brings January 2022 security patch. Read more
January 21, 2022:
- January 2022 HarmonyOS software update is rolling out for Huawei Nova 4e smartphone users. Read more
- Huawei Nova 5 and Nova 5 Pro smartphones running on HarmonyOS are receiving a new software that brings January 2022 security update. Read more
- Huawei has started to rollout the latest January 2022 HarmonyOS security update for Nova 5i and Nova 5i Pro smartphones. Read more
January 20, 2022:
- Huawei has begun sending the January 2022 HarmonyOS security update for Huawei MediaPad M6 10.8 inch tablet. Read more
- Huawei’s latest foldable flagship –Huawei P50 Pocket is receiving the latest January 2022 HarmonyOS software update in China. Read more
January 17, 2022:
- Huawei Enjoy 10 smartphone installs the December 2021 security patch for improved system security. Read more
- Huawei is rolling out new optimizations for Huawei MatePad Pro 12.6 tablet with HarmonyOS version 220.127.116.11 update in China. Read more
- Huawei MediaPad M6 8.4 inch is grabbing the latest January 2022 HarmonyOS software update that comes with upgraded version 18.104.22.168. Read more
January 12, 2022:
- Huawei is rolling a new HarmonyOS 22.214.171.124 SP5 software update for the flagship smartphone, Huawei P50 Pro in China. Read more
- Huawei MatePad 11 tablet users in Europe has started receiving the latest HarmonyOS security update released in the month of December 2021. Read more
January 11, 2022:
- Huawei has started sending the latest HarmonyOS 2.0 software update for the Nova 3i smartphone that comes with version 126.96.36.199 in China. Read more
January 10, 2022:
- Honor Tablet V6 is grabbing the December 2021 HarmonyOS security update that fixes several new bugs and vulnerabilities found in the latest software system. Read more
- Huawei is releasing a new EMUI software update for Huawei P Smart 2021 smartphone that mainly installs December 2021 security patch. Read more
January 8, 2022:
- Huawei is sending a new HarmonyOS update for Huawei Nova 2s users that brings the December 2021 security patch along with other optimizations and fixes. Read more
- Huawei is rolling out the first HarmonyOS software update for the Huawei P50 Pocket smartphone. Read more
- Huawei has started sending the latest HarmonyOS 188.8.131.52 software update for the Huawei Mate X2 foldable smartphone. Read more
January 5, 2022:
- Huawei is rolling out the latest HarmonyOS 184.108.40.206 software update for Huawei MatePad 10.4 tablet. Read more
- Huawei is started sending a new HarmonyOS software update for Huawei P50 Pro that comes with the latest version 220.127.116.11 SP5. Read more
- Huawei has started sending the latest December 2021 HarmonyOS software update for the MatePad 10.8 tablet. Read more
- Huawei MatePad Pro 10.8 tablet users are installing the December 2021 HarmonyOS software update that brings system and security optimizations. Read more
Honor 20S grabbing January 2022 HarmonyOS security update
Huawei has already delivered the January 2022 HarmonyOS security patch for several Huawei and Honor eligible devices. In the latest development, Honor 20S smartphone has begun collecting the January 2022 security update in China.
Huawei’s January 2022 HarmonyOS security patch fixed various bugs and vulnerabilities including 4 CVE in the framework, 10 CVEs in the system, 5 CVEs in the application, and 111 CVEs found in the third-party libraries.
According to the information, the Honor 20S January 2022 update brings HarmonyOS 2.0 version 18.104.22.168, which is upgraded from HM OS version 22.214.171.124.
To be mentioned, this update is gradually expanding through OTA for all eligible devices in the Chinese market. So, it may take some to reach you. Meanwhile, you can also check the latest update manually by following the steps mentioned below.
Send us tips on the contacts mentioned below:
- Message us on Twitter
How to check updates manually:
There are two methods to check the update manually that is through settings or via the My Huawei app. You can check both the ways below.
To update through settings, open Settings, then go to System & updates and open Software update. Now select Check for updates and if any update shows up, then hit the Download and install button.
Alternatively, you can also download software updates using the My Huawei app. Open My Huawei app, visit the update section. Now select check for updates, and then press Download and install.
Points to know:
There are several important points you need to remember before installing the January 2022 security patch on your Honor the 20S.
- Maintain enough storage on your device.
- Keep smartphone charged at least 30% or more.
- This update won’t erase your data, but we recommend you to take backup in advance.
- Follow the update instructions carefully.
- patience, the update may take some time to upgrade the installation package
January 2022 HarmonyOS security update out for Honor 20 and 20 Pro
Honor 20 and 20 Pro smartphones users have started receiving the latest HarmonyOS update that brings January 2022 security patch. This update increases the security level of smartphones and protects the device against threats.
The new information reveals that January 2022 update for the Honor 20 and 20 Pro smartphones hits the ground with HarmonyOS version 126.96.36.199. However, this update is rolling out in the Chinese market.
For your information, the January 2022 HarmonyOS security patch fixes a massive count of 130 CVEs found in the latest software system and third-party libraries for better system security.
- Honor 20 (YAL-AL00)
- Honor 20 (YAL-TL00)
- Honor 20 Pro (YAL-AL10)
Early this month, Huawei has delivered the December 2021 security update for Honor 20 running on Magic UI 4.0 in the global market. The update rolled out with Magic UI version 188.8.131.524 (C675E3R1P4) and a software update package size of 199MB.
Send us tips on the contacts mentioned below:
- Message us on Twitter
Talking about Honor 20, this smartphone launched with an eye-catching design, a 6.26-inch full-HD+, Kirin 980 SoC, 48MP rear quad camera system, excellent battery, and much more.
In terms of the software, it was initially packed with Magic UI 2.1 and received Magic UI 3, Magic UI 3.1, and Magic UI 4.0 major updates. Now, Honor 20 smartphones are performing very well with HarmonyOS 2.0 in China.
How to update Honor smartphones:
Honor 20 smartphone users can download the latest HarmonyOS update via go to phone settings then tap on system & updates, click on the software update, tap on check for updates. Once the update prompt pop-up on your smartphone hit the download button and install it.
Alternatively, head towards the My Huawei app, visit the update section and follow the on-screen instruction to install it. During the update timeline, make sure that the phone has a sufficient amount of battery and storage to download the update package. Also, use a stable connection to prevent update download failure issues.