EMUI 9.1 comes with new options to customize your phone’s home screen but in a way make the customization process easier we brought you a good guide of all the new and old features, so you can get the most of this new user interface.
Manage Home Screen Icons
Move and delete app icons from the home screen, or rearrange them in folders so that your home screen is organized the way you like it.
Move an app icon or folder: On the home screen, touch and hold an app or folder icon until your Phone vibrates, then drag it to any position on the home screen.
Delete an app icon: On the home screen, touch and hold the icon of the app you want to uninstall until your Phone vibrates, then touch Uninstall to delete the app.
Tip: To ensure that the system runs normally, some pre-installed system apps cannot be uninstalled.
Lock the home screen layout: Open Settings, go to Home screen & wallpaper > Home screen settings, and enable Lock layout.
Create a folder: On the home screen, touch and hold an app icon until your Phone vibrates, then drag it on top of another app icon. The two icons will be placed in a new folder.
Delete a folder: Open the folder, touch, deselect all the apps, then touch OK. The folder will be deleted and all app icons in the folder will be moved to your home screen.
Rename a folder: Open the folder and touch the folder name to enter a new name.
Add or remove app icons from a folder: Open the folder and touch. Select the apps you wish to add to the folder, deselect those you wish to remove, and then touch OK.
Tip: Another way to remove an app icon from a folder is to touch and hold the icon in the folder until your Phone vibrates, then drag it to an empty space on the home screen.
Too many icons on your home screen? You can add a new page to your home screen and customize it to your liking.
Touch and hold an empty area on the home screen to enter home screen editing mode. You can do the following:
- Add a new screen page: Touch plus icon at the left or right side of the screen to add a new screen page.
- Delete an empty screen page: Touch delete icon to delete the page.
- Modify screen page order: Touch and hold the screen page you want to move, then drag it to the desired position.
- Set a default home screen page: Touch home icon in the upper part of the home screen to set the selected screen page as your default home screen page.
Tip: Screen pages with app icons or widgets on them cannot be deleted.
Tired of default wallpapers? Set a photo you like as your home screen wallpaper to personalize your home screen.
Open Settings, and then go to Home screen & wallpaper > Wallpaper You can:
Set a picture as your home screen wallpaper: Touch Gallery or select a preset wallpaper in your device, and follow the onscreen instructions to select Lock screen, Home screen or Both.
Set a photo as your wallpaper from Gallery: Have a great photo you want to set as your wallpaper? In Gallery, open the photo that you like, go to Settings > Set as > Wallpaper, and follow the onscreen instructions to set the photo as your home screen wallpaper.
Want to quickly add widgets such as screen lock, weather, notepad, clock, contacts, or calendar to your home screen? You can add, move or delete home screen widgets to tidy up your home screen and ease your user experience.
Add widgets: Touch and hold an empty area on the home screen to enter home screen editing mode. Touch Widgets, touch and hold a widget and drag it to an empty area on the home screen, or touch the widget you want.
Tips: Check that there are enough empty spaces on the home screen for the widget. If there is not enough space, add an empty screen page or free up some space on the current home screen page.
Delete widgets: Touch and hold a widget on the home screen until your Phone vibrates, and then select Remove.
Move widgets: Touch and hold a widget on the home screen until your Phone vibrates. Drag the widget to any position on the screen.
Want to store your apps in one location on your home screen to make your home screen look cleaner? You can enable app drawer on your home screen to store all your apps and free up space on your home screen.
Open Settings, go to Home screen & wallpaper > Home screen style and select Drawer. If you want to switch back to a standard home screen, select Standard.
Tip: Add an app icon from app drawer to the home screen: After you enable app drawer, touch app drawer button on the home screen to enter the app list. From the app list, touch and hold the app icon that you want to add until your Phone vibrates, and then drag it to the desired position on the home screen.
Change the font size and adjust the screen brightness on your Phone to suit your needs.
Open Settings, touch Display, and you can:
- Display full screen: Go to More display settings > Full-screen display to set apps to display in full-screen mode as required.
- Configure the notch display settings: Go to More display settings > Notch to configure the notch display settings.
- Change the image and font size: Touch Text and display size and drag the sliders to suit your needs.
- Adjust the color temperature: Go to Color mode & temperature. You can choose from the preset Default, Warm, or Cold options recommended by the system. Alternatively, touch anywhere on the circle or drag the spot to adjust the color temperature manually.
- Automatically adjust the screen resolution: Touch Screen resolution and enable Smart resolution. Your Phone will then automatically adjust the screen resolution to save power.
- Display more information on the status bar: Touch More display settings, then enable Display carrier name or Display network speed according to your preference.
- Change the screen-on time: Touch Sleep and select the desired duration.
Enable Always Display Information:
Always display information lets you check a host of information such as the date, time, battery level, and notifications without ever turning the screen on.
How to enable it: Open Settings, go to Home screen & wallpaper > Always on display, and toggle on the Always on display switch.
Set schedules for Always display information: You can set your Phone to enable Always display information during certain time periods each day. When always display information is disabled, open Settings, go to Home screen & wallpaper > Always on display. Configure the Start time and End time as needed.
Do you know that Huawei EMUI 12 comes with app security feature?
The new app safety features bring you a security check for all of installing and running an app on your EMUI 12 smartphone. It’s enabled by default and scans each app using AppGallery.
To keep your smartphone safe, the feature makes a stronghold on your phone’s app installation section. You will receive a security notification, whenever you download and install an app from external sources, such as a browser.
There are various checks and actions this invisible app guard will trigger during app installations including the followings:
- If the app has passed the Huawei AppGallery security inspection, you’ll need to enter the lock screen password to install it.
- If the app has not passed the Huawei AppGallery security inspection and may feature unknown risks, you’ll need to enter the lock screen password to install it, after acknowledging the risks.
- If an app is determined to be virus-laden or risky, it means that the app features unacceptable risks. If you would still like to install the app, the app will be added to the App security center by default. When you use the app, certain risky behaviors will be restricted.
- If a high-risk app is detected, App Guard will prevent the app from being.
- If you wish to strengthen the level of protection, you can enable Enhanced protection. Once enabled, you’ll only be able to install apps on your phone that have passed the Huawei AppGallery security inspection.
- Apps that have been inspected Apps that have not been inspected by Huawei AppGallery are prevented from being installed.
- If you installed an app that had not been inspected before enabling Enhanced protection, your phone will inspect the app after Enhanced protection is enabled.
- If the app is determined to have a virus or is risky (fraud, malicious behavior, privacy issues, and more), it will not be able to run, and you will be reminded to uninstall it.
Here’s how to activate app drawer in EMUI 12
App drawer allows you to put all of your apps on a different screen while putting all of your frequently used applications on the home screen. This helps you to manage your phone’s app in a separate space for a clean interaction.
The app drawer is consist of the app search bar and the most used app suggestions. There’s also a letter-wise sorting of apps followed by an “All” apps section.
How to enable App drawer on EMUI 12:
First, open Settings, then Home screen & wallpaper and Home screen style, and tap on “Drawer” to show all apps in the drawer.
In drawer mode, you can swipe up on the home screen to display the App Drawer. Tap and hold the app you want to add until your EMUI device vibrates, and drag the app to the position your want it to be on the home screen.
Reposition your apps:
Tap and hold an app icon as your device vibrates, and select Remove from the on-screen options. This will eliminate the app icon from the screen but it won’t be uninstalled.
To disable the navigation drawer, follow Settings > Home screen & wallpaper > Home screen style, and select “Standard” to show all of your apps on the home screen.
App Drawer is an amazing functionality and its use could simplify the way we interact with Huawei smartphones. It also helps us to organize apps and sort them out in a better way.
Install Google apps on your Huawei phone [EMUI 10, 11, 12, 13]
Since the very beginning of Huawei HMS smartphones, users are trying to find a way to install Google apps such as Play Store on their devices. With time, there are a number of solutions appeared and eventually, fade away. However, there’s one called, Gbox that got our attention and may work out to “some extent” to serve your Google apps requirements.
Note – The installation procedure is at the bottom.
Before we begin to install Google apps on your Huawei phone via GBox. You need to understand important things about how this article will navigate:
- What is Gbox
- How it works
- Supported Apps
- Tested on
- Installation instructions
- Our take
What is GBox:
According to the official website, Gbox was founded in 2018 in Singapore. Born from VIRTUAL CUBE PTE. LTD. It’s described as a multi-platform instrumented application focused on Android.
This app comes with a pre-built, out-of-the-box suite of Google app services. In that case, you won’t need to install GMS services plugins or any other kind of APK files on your phone separately. To be mentioned, there’s no version rollback required as well.
- HMS powered phone
- Gbox app
According to the app, Gbox has virtualized into a random Android device. It creates a virtual Google apps space in your Huawei phone parallel to the EMUI apps.
Also, the app installed remains within Gbox and once you uninstall Gbox, all of these Google apps vanish as well.
Furthermore, every time you launch an app, it’s solely powered by the Gbox in virtual mode. Interestingly, the app retains your last usage and could be resumed from the taskbar.
Gbox support all of the Google apps and you can install them on your Huawei smartphone but only a few (including the third party) will work well. These are
- Google app
- Google maps
Still, there are a bunch of other apps that are supported with Gbox but we’ve not tested them.
Games: You can access all of the apps on Play Store but other than those mentioned above won’t work or crash Gbox itself. So, we suggest you get them via APKMirror, AppGallery, or any other third-party website.
Privacy and Precautions:
Gbox promises to protect your privacy and not to collect data. But there are a few things that we suggest you do if you want to use Gbox or any similar application on your Huawei phone.
- Use a Gmail account to log in that you don’t use to share any personal, private, or official email use cases. Create a new one if you want to.
- Gbox for permission to access sensitive data such as storage and files. These are required to install a new app.
- Gbox will take a part of your phone’s battery life but we have not found it draining or consuming too much of cells.
- The instructions to install Gbox are easy but we suggest you read them carefully.
Here are the tips that need to apply for the best use cases:
- Install apps one by one
- Wait until an app installation finishes
- Create an app shortcut, once it is installed from the Play Store
- Do not open apps from Gbox
- Launch an app from the home screen icon
- Open an app, and let it sync the data
- Repeat the 6th step at least four to five times
- We won’t suggest you keep your expectation high on all GMS apps.
You can force stop Gbox from running in the background via the “Force stop” option from Apps settings.
We testing Gbox running on EMUI 10, EMUI 11, EMUI 12, EMUI 13. The solution is running on all of the devices including Mate 50 Pro.
Let’s see how to install Google apps using Gbox on your Huawei phone.
Visit the Gboxlab website and download the latest version on your device.
Note: Download only the stable version.
Install Google Apps:
These are divided into two parts, the first will show you to set up Gbox, and the second half will show to install Google apps.
1st – Navigate to Gbox app on your phone and install it.
2nd – Open the Gbox app
3rd – Agree app’s terms and disable battery optimizations (will be prompted automatically).
4th – Tap on the “Check” button in the top right corner.
5th – Enable – “Require permission” and “Battery optimization whitelist”. Once enabled, press back.
Install Google Apps
6th – Tap on any “Recommended Apps” and allow required permissions.
7th – Sign in to your Google account
8th – Tap Install to install that app.
9th – Once installed, “Add” app icon to the home screen.
10th – You can download other apps in the same way.
How to update, create icons and delete the app:
You can tap and hold any app and tap on Upgrade to update the app or create an app icon.
You can also take on Settings and change app suggestions according to region.
Using Gbox is simple but we suggest you follow our precaution notes. It surely works in limits but it surely installs some apps. Yet we surely want to hear from you tag us on Twitter and carefully follow the instructions to use it.