There have been a lot of people including ourselves asking about Huawei EMUI 12 for Honor smartphones. While we were waiting for this rollout, Honor is actually sending EMUI 12 based Magic UI 5.2 for smartphones.
A week ago, our fellow reader Adrian shared a screenshot of the Magic UI 5.2 rollout for the Honor 20 smartphone. The shared screenshot reveals more information about the software, which shows EMUI 12 in the base.
Earlier this year, we reported that Honor will release EMUI 12 for Honor smartphones. However, the company showed no sign of this since then.
Meanwhile, Honor smartphones users gave us questions one after another related to this upgrade. But it’s finally here and it’s happening. Don’t worry, we got some proof to cement this claim.
What did we find?
While researching further, we found that the Honor 20 is not the only smartphone to get Magic UI 5.2. Because EMUI 12 is also upgrading other Honor smartphones such as the top-tier Honor 30 and V30 series.
That’s not it, Honor is randomly sending EMUI 12 build for old budget devices such as Honor 10 Lite, and Honor V20 as well. However, some other users of the same models are still waiting for the OTA update.
For your information, the Magic UI 5.2/EMUI 12 is spotted in Russia and we’ve not found this occurring in another market.
May take some time to expand:
We’re certain this rollout is in the initial stage and may take some to reach every eligible Honor model. Also, we’re not expecting a fast rollout.
If you want to check for the latest software update, visit Settings > System & updates, tap on Software updates and then CHECK FOR UPDATES. Alternatively, we suggest you to also check for new firmware via the My Huawei app.
Before you proceed, make sure you get a backup of important data and maintain internal storage to download Magic UI 5.2/EMUI 12 on your Honor smartphone.
This update introduces the intuitive Magic UI 5.2 interface, which provides the Device Interactions section of the Control Panel and various useful features.
- A more flexible font setting allows you to adjust the size and weight of the font using the slider.
- Neomorphism concept applied to UI elements: simple color tints, shadows and highlights are used for a more realistic effect.
- Tapping and holding application folders on the home screen enlarges them for easy access to the applications in them.
[Notification Panel and Control Panel]
- Access the Notification Panel by swiping Down from the Top Left of the screen to view notifications and the Control Panel by swiping Down from the Top Right of the screen to use the icons.
- An audio control section has been added to the Control Panel that makes it easy to switch between different audio devices and audio applications.
- Quickly turn on the Multi-screen function by clicking on the Huawei laptop and tablet icons in the Device+ section of the Control Panel, and broadcast Video too large screens by clicking on the HUAWEI Vision icon.
Artificial intelligence in all scenarios:
- The mobile phone and laptop joint authentication function allow you to unlock the phone by entering the phone screen unlock password on the Huawei laptop when the phone and laptop are connected using the Multiscreen function.
- Access documents or pictures on your phone using your laptop without having to connect two devices with a data cable.
- Enhanced data transfer speed of Huawei Share for faster file sharing between Huawei phones, tablets and laptops.
- Adding the MeeTime app that supports making HD voice and video calls over Wi-Fi or mobile data network.
- Adding support for screen sharing during video calls, allowing you to mark important information and share it during video conversations.
- Support for multi-party voice and video calls on Huawei phones and tablets.
Check February 2023 EMUI security patch details
Huawei has released February 2023 EMUI security patch details that will fetch better safety for smartphones running EMUI 12.0.1, EMUI 12.0, and EMUI 11 in the global market.
In the meantime, Huawei keeps on sending security patches, optimizations, and other important performance upgrades over the OTA method directly to the devices.
Meanwhile, Huawei has not released the February 2023 EMUI security patch update for smartphones but it may soon be delivered to the corresponding eligible models.
Why it’s important?
Security patches are important and Huawei releases such upgrades for smartphones to implement high safety measures to guard the data and fight vulnerabilities. Such updates roll out monthly and quarterly sessions.
Huawei has fixed 2 issues in critical condition, 14 of them fixed in high mode, medium and low level of vulnerabilities are not recorded this time. While there are 23 common vulnerability exposures patched from the last firmware version.
Specifically, it fixes an unauthorized access vulnerability (CVE-2022-48286) in the multi-screen collaboration module, which could have affected the confidentiality of the files that you are sharing over the air.
There are two medium-level vulnerabilities fixed for Bluetooth modules, which could exploit user data. CVE-2022-48295 addresses the fix of authentification of the IHwAntiMalPlugin API, which could let malware attack your Huawei device.
Next comes the Huawei fix for permission management vulnerability in the SystemUI module, which may cause users to receive misleading broadcasts from malicious apps for storage exploitations.
Below you can check all of the CVE counts and codes mentioned in the February 2023 security bulletin.
- CVE-2022-22088, CVE-2022-41674
- CVE-2022-20456, CVE-2022-20461, CVE-2022-20489, CVE-2022-20490, CVE-2022-20492, CVE-2022-20493, CVE-2022-20494, CVE-2023-20905, CVE-2023-20913, CVE-2023-20915, CVE-2023-20920, CVE-2023-20921, CVE-2022-33255, CVE-2022-32635
Already included in previous updates:
- CVE-2022-20504, CVE-2022-20506, CVE-2022-20513, CVE-2022-20515, CVE-2022-20516, CVE-2022-20517, CVE-2022-20518, CVE-2022-20520, CVE-2022-20521, CVE-2022-20525, CVE-2022-20528, CVE-2022-20530, CVE-2022-20537, CVE-2022-20539, CVE-2022-20541, CVE-2022-20544, CVE-2022-20546, CVE-2022-20552, CVE-2022-42535, CVE-2022-42542, CVE-2022-20496, CVE-2022-20566, CVE-2021-39793
February 2023 security patch may take some time to toss over the devices and we’ll keep you posted.
Huawei Nova 7 January 2023 EMUI update is expanding
Huawei is expanding the January 2023 security patch for Nova 7 global version that improves the phone’s capability against potential threats. According to the information, Huawei Nova 7 January 2023 EMUI update comes with version 22.214.171.124 and 233 megabytes. This update is rolling out in batches began to rollout early last month.
You can check for the update via Settings or via the My Huawei app. Below you can see the update changelog:
This update improves system security with security patches.
- Integrates security patches released in January 2023 for improved system security.
- This update will not erase your personal data but we recommend that you back up only important data before updating.
- If you encounter any issues during the update contact the Huawei customer service hotline.
- The update package will be deleted automatically after the update is complete.
Thanks to the tipster – Mohammed for this amazing update.
Huawei Mate Xs 2 and Nova 9 gets January 2023 EMUI update
Despite the fact that EMUI 13 has not made its way to us, Huawei Mate Xs 2 and Nova 9 users can download January 2023 security update with EMUI build version 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.521 respectively (via Huaweiportal).
Huawei Mate Xs 2 is an exceptional smartphone and it is a second-generation outward folding device that made its way to the global market. On the other side, it provides a new user experience than the predecessor.
The Nova 9 has a unique design and helped Huawei to recover Nova series sales among global consumers supporting a high-quality camera system. It equips 120Hz refresh rate and Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G 4G.
Interestingly, Huawei Mate Xs 2 and Nova 9 launched with pre-installed EMUI 12 software and there are various features that caught our eye. However, it’s been already an entire year since Huawei rolled out a major upgrade. And EMUI 13 is all we’re waiting for.
For now, Huawei has not informed us about the EMUI 13 release date but these two smartphone owners eagerly waiting for a new announcement. Don’t forget that you can check for the latest firmware via system Settings > tap on System & updates > then move with the Software update to fetch a new upgrade for your Mate Xs 2 and Nova 9.
Below you can check the full changelog for both of these rolllouts.
- This update improves system security with security patches.
- January 2023 security patches integrated for better system security.
- With this update, your personal data will not be deleted, but it is recommended to backup all important data before updating. If you encounter any problems during the update, please call Huawei customer service support line or visit one of the Huawei service centers for assistance. This update package will be deleted automatically after the update is complete.