Huawei has released the October 2021 EMUI/Magic UI security patch details for its various devices in advance. It’s quite impressive that the company is more focused on its monthly updates and announced it early, which is not the case with previous patches.
This latest update contains monthly Android and Huawei patches for addressing some known bugs in the system. After, the installation of this monthly security patch it’ll stabilize the performance of the devices and keep them protected from some external and internal threads.
Moving with the update release note, the October 2021 EMUI security patch brings 46 fixes address by Google and 56 fixes address by the manufacturer Huawei. However, the company is still sending the September 2021 security release note to different regions.
Besides, this Chinese phone maker also published the HarmonyOS security patch details for September 2021. At the same time, it also started to roll out this update for various devices on HarmonyOS 2.0 by the start of this month.
And now, let talk about the October 2021 EMUI/Magic UI security patch containing the fixes released by Huawei and Google.
Android Security Patches:
There’s a total of 46 CVE, among them, there’s one critical level, 27 are of high level, and 2 medium level CVE fixes. In addition, 16 CVEs were already included in previously released fixes. You can check the details below-
- Critical: CVE-2021-0687
- High: CVE-2021-0644, CVE-2021-0682, CVE-2021-0683, CVE-2021-0684, CVE-2021-0686, CVE-2021-0598, CVE-2021-0688, CVE-2021-0689, CVE-2021-0690, CVE-2021-0595, CVE-2020-26558, CVE-2021-0695, CVE-2021-0680, CVE-2021-0681, CVE-2019-10581, CVE-2021-0518, CVE-2021-30290, CVE-2021-30294, CVE-2021-1941, CVE-2021-1948, CVE-2021-1974, CVE-2021-0869, CVE-2021-30290, CVE-2021-30294, CVE-2021-0685, CVE-2021-0693, CVE-2021-0869
- Medium: CVE-2021-1957, CVE-2021-1961
- Already included in previous updates: CVE-2021-0519, CVE-2021-0573, CVE-2021-0574, CVE-2021-0576, CVE-2021-0515, CVE-2021-0514, CVE-2021-0513, CVE-2021-0571, CVE-2020-0368, CVE-2021-0592, CVE-2021-0577, CVE-2021-0639, CVE-2020-14381, CVE-2021-3347, CVE-2021-1947, CVE-2021-28375
Huawei Security Patches:
Huawei has acknowledged a total of 56 CVEs with the October 2021 EMUI/Magic UI security patch for Huawei and Honor devices. Furthermore, the latest fixes include 37 Medium, 13 high, and 6 low levels of CVEs. Scroll down for detailed information.
- CVE-2021-22326: Kernel space read/write vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22319: Improper verification vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22488: Unauthorized file access vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22485: SSID vulnerability with Wi-Fi network connections in Huawei devices [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22481: Verification errors [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22489: DoS vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22469: Out-of-bounds memory read vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22460: Boot restriction bypass vulnerability in some Huawei phones [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22455: Integer overflow vulnerability with the Always On Display (AOD) driver in some Huawei devices [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22420: Vulnerability of forging package names by implementing the getBasePackageName method in some Huawei devices [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-22475: Improper permission management vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-3506: Out-of-bounds operation vulnerability after rooting in some Huawei phones [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37011: Improper verification vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-22491: Input verification vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36999: Buffer overflow vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36997: Low memory error in some Huawei devices due to the unlimited size of images to be parsed [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36995: Unauthorized file access vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36994: Trustlist strings being repeatedly inserted into the linked list in some Huawei devices due to race conditions [Low Severity]
- CVE-2021-36991: Unauthorized file access vulnerability in some Huawei devices due to unstandardized path input [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36990: Vulnerability of tampering with the kernel in some Huawei phones [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36989: Kernel crash vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36986: Vulnerability of tampering with the kernel in some Huawei phones [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-36985: Code injection vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22370: Improper verification vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37013: Permission control vulnerability with the setHdbKey API in HwPackageManagerServiceEx in some EMUI devices [Low Severity]
- CVE-2021-22345: Improper verification vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37020: Improper verification vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37119: Service logic vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-22374: Out-of-bounds array access in the kernel of some Huawei phones [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37117: Service logic vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37116: Input verification vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37114: Out-of-bounds read vulnerability [Low Severity]
- CVE-2021-37111: Memory leakage vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37110: Timing design defects [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37103: Improper permission management vulnerability in the Huawei Wallet app [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37093: Improper access control vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37092: Memory leakage vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37075: Credential management vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37056: Improper permission control vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37054: Identity spoofing and authentication bypass vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37053: Service logic vulnerability in some HUAWEI devices [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37052: Exception log vulnerability High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37051: Out-of-bounds read vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37050: Missing sensitive data encryption vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37049: Heap-based buffer overflow vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37047: Input verification vulnerability [Low Severity]
- CVE-2021-37045: UAF vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37044: Permission control vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37042: Improper verification vulnerability [Low Severity]
- CVE-2021-37041: Improper verification vulnerability [Low Severity]
- CVE-2021-37040: Parameter injection vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37038: Improper access control vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37021: Improper verification vulnerability [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37120: Double free vulnerability [High Severity]
- CVE-2021-37121: Configuration defects in some [Medium Severity]
- CVE-2021-37014: Integer overflow vulnerability [Medium Severity]
At present, the company is only releasing the September security patch for Global and domestic users. The October Security patch is yet to roll out for the users. However, looking at the focus of the company, it’ll soon start the rollout process, we’ll keep to posted further. Until then, Stay connected with us.
New system apps and improvements rolling out for the Huawei Mate 30 Pro [Global]
Huawei is now rolling out a new software update for the Huawei Mate 30 Pro smartphone in the global market with new apps. The company is sending this software update with a firmware version EMUI 220.127.116.11, the OTA package size is 1.26GB.
The Huawei Mate 30 Pro global update consists of new system apps including quick download shortcuts for the following apps: Books, Petal Maps, GameCenter, Member Center, Link Now, and Celia Keyboard.
According to Huaweiblog, the latest Huawei Mate 30 Pro update consists of system stability for improved user experience. Aside from these improvements, the Mate 30 Pro doesn’t reflect any additions in the changelog.
To be mentioned, the software update is currently at the initial stage and will expand to more devices in the coming days or weeks.
Huawei Mate 30 Pro New Apps Update changelog:
Improves system stability in certain scenarios.
Adds the Huawei apps folder to the home screen to keep you up to date on popular apps.
Adds quick download shortcuts for the following apps: Books, Petal Maps, GameCenter, Member Center, Link Now, and Celia Keyboard.
The apps can be downloaded by tapping the shortcuts. (Note: If the setting for Auto-update of apps in AppGallery is set to On or Wi-Fi only, app updates will be downloaded and installed automatically when the network connection is good.)
If you want to send us Tips, Update Screenshots, or a Message? connect with us here:
- Message us on Twitter
The latest Huawei Mate 30 Pro update won’t delete your personal data, yet, an advance backup is recommended before updating the device for the worst-case. Furthermore, ensure enough memory storage, battery backup, and a strong internet connection before installing this update. However, if you still meet any problem during the update can seek help from the Huawei customer service center.
(image source – Huaweiblog)
How to Download the update:
There are two ways for downloading this update- first with a mobile setting and the second with the Support App. I have mentioned both you can download anyone you are more comfortable with.
Download Via Settings:
- Open smartpnoe Settings
- Select System
- Now click on Software update
- Then Check for updates
- If available, click Download and install
- Now you can Restart your device
Download via Support app
- Open Support app on your smartphone
- Go to the Service tab
- Now select Update
- Click on Check for Updates
- If available, then tap Download and install
- Now you can Restart your device
EMUI 12 Features: New UI design, Motion effect, Control Panel, Device Plus and more
Huawei has released the EMUI 12 operating system, which comes with a suite of new features, user interface (UI) design, animation effects, seamless device controller, and other important enhancements over EMUI 11.
EMUI 12 design reflects the design scheme of the HarmonyOS operating system. From UI to features, all carry the same rhythm. However, Huawei has remained silent on the based software of EMUI 12.
Let’s jump to the matter, and explore the EMUI 12 Features:
EMUI 12 comes with a new innovative user interface design that has beautiful rounds corners and provides a seamless viewing experience. There are finely tuned gradients that create a perfect sense of depth in the display, while the simple black, white and blue color format offers a clean and refined look.
This EMUI software comes with new animation effects that reflect realistic gravity and magnet animation effects. The latest animations added to the UI reflects the celestial objects move in the universe, and makes the overall touch interaction more smoother and interactive.
The new software supports stepless weight adjustment, which allows you to adjust the size and the weight of the font by just adjusting the slider. This new feature enhances the user’s viewing experience and makes the UI labels more visible for better UI controls.
Control Panel is an all-in-one solution that you can access by swiping down from the top right corner of the display. The Control Panel consists of audio playback, WiFi, and Bluetooth settings on the same screen.
That’s not it because the Control Panel the above-mentioned controls are followed by shortcut switches section. There’s also a Device+ section. The aim of the Control Panel is to provide you the quickest possible options on the go without at the fastest pace.
Compared to the EMUI 11, the Notification Center is now separated from the Quick settings panel. The users now have a brand new notification center, that you can access via swiping down from the top left corner of the display.
Finally, let’s talk about the “Device+”. This feature resembles the Super Device feature on the HarmonyOS 2. What are the use cases? Let’s take a brief look.
You can simply tap on the MatePad icon (as shown in the image) to activate a multi-screen collaboration with MatePad. This will help you conduct calls, send messages, and check photos from your phone on the tablet screen.
Once connected with MateBook, you can edit your phone’s files directly using your laptop’s bigger display with ease of access. Want to enjoy your phone’s content on an even bigger display? Don’t worry, EMUI 12’s Device+ supports Huawei Vision smart TVs.
Lastly, the earbuds support of the Device+ allows you to listen to should of the other connected device such as Huawei Vision, without disturbing other people.
Distributed File System:
Distributed File System is quite powerful and works best, with this feature, you can get instant access to your phone documents or photos as easily as to access another disk drive on your laptop.
Most interestingly, these all functionalities can be conducted without touching your phone’s data cable.
MeeTime video calls were introduced with EMUI 10.1 and improved in EMUI 11. With EMUI 12, Huawei is taking a step ahead, this feature now supports cross-device video calls, you can seamlessly shift video calls picked up on your phone to Huawei Vision by using the MeeTime Video Call Transfer feature, and shift the call back to your phone, as per your requirement.
Time to come to an important part – Performance, the EMUI 12, provides faster web pages and apps loading as you scroll. You can return to the page next time as you load it up.
Even after a long term of use, the EMUI 12 ensures to provide optimum performance, operation response, and app startup as it was doing initially.
Lastly, the security. EMUI 12 comes with better security and privacy protection, You can input your password to unlock your phone from your laptop while being connected to the Multi-screen collaboration feature.
Moreover, you can set your smartwatch as a trusted device of your phone for extra protection. Your phone will only respond when your phone is connected via Face unlock.
Huawei Mate 20 Lite September 2021 security patch out for global users [EMUI]
Global users are receiving the September 2021 security patch on the Huawei Mate 20 Lite smartphone. The update has only brought the bug fixes mentioned in the security bulletins released for September this year. Speaking of which, Huawei didn’t release any update after June 2021 security patch for this device in overseas markets.
Debuted in 2018, Huawei Mate 20 Lite comes pre-installed with EMUI 8 operating system. Later, the company sends two major updates for this base smartphone and it’s currently running on EMUI 10. Although, it didn’t receive the EMUI 11, still counts as an important device of the company. Thus, it timely gest new features, bug fixes, and system optimizations.
As reported by HuaweiBlog, the September 2021 security patch contains the EMUI 10.0.0.290 version for Huawei Mate 20 Lite users. However, the changelog doesn’t seem to contain much due to its smaller update size. There are no additional features or major modification come with the security note. You can check the details below:
- Update Version: EMUI 10.0.0.290 (C432E12R1P1)
- Update Size: 116 MB
- Changelog: This update integrates security patches released in September 2021 for improved system security.
(Image from HuaweiBlog)
How to Download:
Huawei Mate 20 Lite users can download the latest EMUI September 2021 security patch from the smartphone’s setting. Still, there are many things a user needs to consider before installing the update.
A battery level of more than 20% is required, so your device won’t be worn out during the procedure. At the same, users also need to ensure adequate storage in the system and stable network connection.
However, the update size is rather small, so you can also make the download with personal mobile data easily. Also remember, not to disturb the process or use the smartphone in between the installation. Below you can check the downloading steps-
- Open your smartphone and go to Settings
- Now tap on the System & updates
- Then open Software Update
- From here select Check for updates
- If an update is available, it’ll pop up on your phone
- Click on Download and install
- Wait for the process to complete, and Restart your device